Mostar / Mostar
The city of Mostar came under Ottoman rule in 1468 and the urbanization of the settlement began. It was named Köprühisar, meaning fortress at the bridge, at the centre of which was a cluster of 15 houses. The town was organized following the unwritten oriental rule, the čaršija which was the crafts and commercial centre of the settlement and mahala, the residential area.
Fortification of the town was done between 1520 and 1566 and the wooden bridge was rebuilt in stone, which is one of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s most visited landmarks and is considered an exemplary piece of Islamic architecture in the Balkans. The first church in the city of Mostar, a Serbian Orthodox Church, was built in 1834 during Ottoman rule. Austria-Hungary took control over Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1878.