Budapest / Budapeşte
The Ottomans conquered Buda in 1526, as well in 1529 and finally occupied it in 1541. This Turkish Rule lasted for more than 140 years. The Ottomans constructed many prominent bathing facilities within the city. Some of the baths that the Turks erected during their rule are still in use 500 years later, like the Rudas Baths and Király Baths. The unoccupied western part of the city became part of the Habsburg Empire as Royal Hungary.
In 1686, two years after the unsuccessful siege of Buda, a renewed campaign was started to enter the Hungarian capital. This time, the Holy League’s army was twice as large, containing over 74,000 men, including German, Croat, Dutch, Hungarian, English, Spanish, Czech, Italian, French, Burgundian, Danish and Swedish soldiers, along with other Europeans as volunteers, artillerymen, and officers. The Christian forces seized Buda, and in the next few years, all of the former Hungarian lands, except areas near Timișoara (Temesvár), were taken from the Turks. In the 1699 Treaty of Karlowitz, these territorial changes were officially recognized to show the end of the rule of the Turks, and in 1718 the entire Kingdom of Hungary was removed from Ottoman rule.