Selçuk is the central town of Selçuk district, İzmir Province in Turkey, two kilometres (one mile) northeast of the ancient city of Ephesus. It was the capital of the Emirate of Aydin. Under the Ottomans, it was known as Ayasoluk, which is a corrupted form of its original Greek name, Agios Theologos. In 1914, it was renamed Selçuk after the Seljuk Turks who first led incursions into the region in the 12th century.
“The congregational mosque in this city is one of the most magnificent mosques in the world and unequaled in beauty.”~ Ibn Battuta